Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Taking a Break

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wednesdays are busy, busy, busy! So, let's get to it!

Here's the question and answer from yesterday:
Tues, Feb. 24- What are the appointed festivals of the Lord, which you to proclaim as sacred assemblies?
Leviticus 23: The Sabbath, The Passover and Unleavened Bread, First Fruits, Festival of Weeks, Festival of Trumpets, Day of Atonement, and The Festival of Tabernacles.

And here's the question of the day:
Weds, Feb. 25- How many years is the Year of Jubilee?


And here's the reflection of the day:
Let's say we take a break from both Acts and Leviticus. I really like how the Psalms are sprinkled throughout the schedule of readings. Psalms are such wonderful examples of prayers. Next time you need to write a prayer but aren't sure where to start, read through the Psalms and pick out phrases that are appropriate. The Psalms are a textbook for learning how to write your own prayers.

For example, Psalm 25 is a model of prayer and of living. So much these days our lives are focused on instant gratification and "me-me-me"-ness. It begins with an offering of his life to God, illustrating dependence on God and finding security and refuge in God--"To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul; in you I trust." The psalmist is not praying in order to get what he wants; instead, he is content to seek God's ways and paths.

The psalmist's prayer clearly reflects his knowledge of Israel's story, from Exodus 32-34, recalling God's faithfulness "from of old" (v 6). The psalmist is contemplating his current situation through the lens of God's faithfulness. Psalm 25, then, is both a prayer and a testimony to God's character. Even though he is currently in a tough spot, he has confidence in God's enduring faithfulness and provision--"Guard my life and rescue me; let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope is in you" (v 19).

It seems appropriate that this Psalm is on our schedule for today--Ash Wednesday. It is traditionally used during both Advent and Lent. The psalmist's humble posture of penitence is clearly appropriate for the Christian church as we begin the journey toward Easter. The hope that assures us during Advent is the same hope which carries us through the painful Passion to the resurrection.

Actually, Psalm 25 seems to be appropriate for any season. Dependence on God is necessary at all times in all seasons of life.


Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment