Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Motives for Preaching

http://www.frankfortyotb.blogspot.com/

Welcome! I'm glad you stopped by today, whether this is your first visit or you're a repeat visitor. Let's get down to business.

Here's the question and answer from yesterday:
Who were the first to see that the tomb was empty according to Luke? (Luke 24)
Luke 24:10 10 It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them who told this to the apostles.

And here's the question of the day:
Fill in the blanks: “For to me, to live is _________ and to die is _________.” (Phil 1)

And here's the reflection of the day:
Ahhh. . . Philippians 1. Probably my second most favorite chapter in the Bible. (#1 fave is Isaiah 40.)

I could say I hardly know where to start reflecting in this chapter: "I thank my God every time I remember you" (verse 3). "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight. . . " (verse 9). "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" (verse 21).

I could say that, but it would be a lie. Because I know EXACTLY which part I want to reflect on. It's the part that totally put me at ease when it came to carrying the burden/privilege/responsibility of preaching the Word:

"15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached."


Aaahhhh. . . Can you see the tension draining from my body? "The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached." *Sigh*

You see, often times pastors write sermons that sound impressive. . . or are very entertaining. . . or exude piety. . . well, you get the picture. Often times pastors write sermons they hope will make them look good to whoever's in the congregation.

I've seen them do it. I've done it myself. (Hey, preachers were graded on their sermons in Seminary!) When I was learning to preach, I know I was definitely more interested in writing the kind of sermon that would get me an A than sharing what I thought God wanted me to share. I'm not saying I didn't consider that; I was just a bit more interested in the grade. There would be plenty of other sermons that would be for God; these ones were for me. (Can you say "selfish ambition"?!)

So, imagine my dismay when I realized how "false" my motives were! I think my classmates and I all struggled to figure out how not to preach "out of envy and rivalry"--because we all wanted the highest grade in the class--but instead out of goodwill.

Enter Philippians 1.18: "But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice." What a relief this is to me! Even when I read or see or listen to a sermon that makes me cringe because the preacher's motives seem to be false, I remember that Christ is still preached.

Even now, I'm sure I still preach sermons that are not quite out of goodwill. Despite me and my sinfulness, Christ is still preached. And because of this, I too rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment