Monday, June 29, 2009

Clothes Do Make the Man (or Woman)

Hello, once again. We're 49.9999999% of the way done with the "Year of the Bible." Hang in there! Keep on reading!

Here's the question of the day:
What are the pieces of the “armor of God?” (Eph 6)

And here's the reflection of the day:
They (whoever "they" are) say "clothes make the man" (or woman, as the case may be). I must say, I tend to agree.

I know that when I had a test to take, while others would slouch in the room with their sweatpants on, I always tried to dress up a little. When I take the time to dress carefully, I feel more confident in myself. I think part of dressing carefully has to do with the intentionality behind it. When I get up and just throw on whatever is closest at hand, it's like starting the day three steps behind. But when I am careful and thoughtful about what I put on, I'm two steps ahead.

I think that's the idea behind the admonition to "Put on the full armor of God" (Eph 6:11). It is intentional, purposeful. We must always be armed with the belt of truth and the shield of faith because we never know when we might need them. Each and every morning, as a part of getting dressed, we need to be well-dressed, from top to bottom--from the helmet of salvation on our heads to readiness on our feet.

What things can you incorporate into your "getting ready" routine that will help you put on the full armor of God each and every day?

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment