Saturday, March 28, 2009

Funeral Reflection

Reflection on Romans 7
I don't really have much to offer in terms of scholarly research for this little post. It really is a reflection more than explanation.

Today I went to my Aunt Dorothy's funeral. She was one of my grandfather's sisters. I knew of her and know I met her when I was younger, but other than her love of strawberries, I don't know much about her.

Funerals are fascinating things, particularly if you only know about the person, but don't know them well. I always wish I had known people better by the end of a funeral. And this was another one of those funerals.

Aunt Dorothy was a pillar of faith, one of the "salt of the earth." Her minister, friends, and families all talked about the depth of her love and the meaningful ways she impacted their lives, particularly influencing their spiritual journeys with God.

When I read Romans 7, it made me think of Aunt Dorothy and the spiritual role model she was for people--I think she (and others) must have found delight in God's law in her inner being (v22). How else could she have been as wonderful as she was? Even the great saints in the church do what they know they shouldn't do AND don't do what they should do. But their delight in God's law is so great as to help them overcome the sin which is living in them (v17).

Thanks be to God for Aunt Dorothy, the great saints of the church, and for all the ways they point us toward God!

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment