Sunday, March 1, 2009

Numb3rs

Good morning/afternoon/evening! Today we begin month number three of Year of the Bible. Can you believe it? I think it's going so quickly.

I have to tell you the best part of doing YOTB is visiting with people in their homes and seeing their Bibles and participant books sitting out in the open. It does my heart good and I think it pleases God greatly too. I'm glad you're on this journey with me.


Here's the question and answer from yesterday:
Feb. 28- What was the issue surrounding the Council of Jerusalem?
Acts 15:5 If the Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.

And here's the question of the day:
Sun, Mar 1: What must a Nazirite abstain from eating and drinking? (Num 6)


And here's the reflection of the day:
I have holiness on my mind this morning, mostly because I am preaching on Leviticus in a few hours. And if there's one word to describe Leviticus, it's HOLINESS. All those rules and regulations--those are all meant to encourage and enhance Israel's holiness. After all, God is a holy God and the people he calls his own are called to be (or strive to be!) just as holy. The key phrase to remember about Leviticus is "Be holy because I the Lord your God am holy."

But, my brain needs to transition to Numbers for a little bit (or Numb3rs, as the TV show title says). Lo, and behold, I open up the Bible (technically the file for the Bible program on my computer) to Numbers and I begin to read about "a man or woman" who wants to make a special vow--"a vow of separation the Lord."

Now, to be separate is to be holy. It seems there is a great deal of overlap between Leviticus and Numbers, both in form (long boring lists) and in organizing principles (holiness).

This Nazirite calling is a call to temporary leadership for the laypeople of the community. The author of one commentary notes that the content of the vow is not the point; the point is that laypeople in the church have an opportunity to step up into leadership positions. The vow is done in public, not private; it is official; and it has communal implications.

The Nazirite is required to separate from everyday routine--which is NOT to say that they retreat from life in general. They are still part of the congregation, but their special status brings them closer to the middle of the camp, which is the tabernacle.

I think this kind of temporary vow still exists today. I think God still calls forward laypeople for certain tasks for a temporary time. When our church was struck by lightning and caught on fire in July 2007, I think we had more than a few folks who took a "Nazirite vow"; we had a number of people who stepped up to the plate and helped rebuild the church.

I hope that laypeople in churches are on the lookout for "Nazirite vows" to be taken. It seems to me that pastors may think they know who God is calling to do what, but they're not always right. The Holy Spirit doesn't need to work through the pastor; the Holy Spirit works through individuals and especially lay people. This kind of calling is something that must come from the discernment of each congregation member.

If you feel a "Nazirite vow" in your future (a special calling for a limited time), please TELL YOUR PASTOR! God is obviously calling you to a special task and this is something your pastor will want to hear about.


And now receive this benediction from Numb3rs:
Numbers 6:24-27 24
"'"The LORD bless you and keep you; 25 the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; 26 the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace."'

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment