Monday, September 21, 2009

My Favorite Chapter

www.frankfortyotb.blogspot.com
Check out the church site too!
www.frankfortpresbychurch.com

"Year of the Bible" Pastor's Reflection

Reflection of the day:
I've been slacking off a bit in the blogging department, for which I apologize. (And yes, I have gotten behind in my readings, too. Don't feel like you're the only one!) In my flurry of preparations for Sunday, I didn't even get any questions written either.

Technically, Isaiah 40 was a reading for yesterday (09.20.09) BUT it is my favorite chapter in the whole Bible, so I hope you'll grant me a little grace and allow me to write about that instead of one of today's reading.

Isaiah 40, especially verses 25-31, is my favorite for a very simple reason. And it's maybe not the reason you'd expect. And maybe it's not the best reason in the world, but that doesn't matter. It's my favorite chapter because when I read it for the first time, I got goosebumps.

See, I told you it was a simple reason.

I was in. . . maybe 9th grade? . . . and I was at youth group one night. I don't remember what the lesson was about or what the current topic of discussion was. All I know is that I read those verses and I had a physical reaction to them. I didn't know why. I'm not sure I understand it even today.

I know I had read the Bible before that--even memorizing verses in Sunday School. But for whatever reason, for the first time, this Scripture really sunk into my brain. (Or maybe it really sunk into my heart?)

So this is the chapter I come back to when I need assurance ("Comfort, comfort my people, says your God") or when I get a little big for my britches ("To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One) or when I need a little something extra to keep me going (". . . but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.")

I don't remember ever telling my family about this experience. I don't actually remember telling anyone about it until I was in the ordination process. And suddenly I realized just how important this experience was in my personal spiritual journey.

It's ironic, then, that while I was in college, my parents gave me a Bible cover for the Bible I used for classes. Guess what was on it. A picture of an eagle and Isaiah 40:31. I got goosebumps again when I opened it.

I guess another reason why I like this chapter is because it seems like God has given it especially to me.

I've read lots of Scripture since then. And I've gotten a lot of goosebumps along the way. But for me, this chapter will always have a special place in my heart.

What's your favorite piece of Scripture?

No comments:

Post a Comment