Thursday, January 8, 2009

Congratulations!

You did it! You made it through a week of readings, more or less! I've heard from some of you who are ahead of the game and some who have a little catching up to do and some of you who are right on schedule. No matter where you are in the schedule, congratulations! You are well on your way to developing what I think is a habit of a highly effective Christian!


So, here's yesterday's question and answer:
Wed, Jan. 7: What 5 animals does Abram use in the covenant with God? (Gen 15)
Genesis 15:9 9 So the LORD said to him, "Bring me a heifer, a goat and a ram, each three years old, along with a dove and a young pigeon."

And here's today's question:
Thurs, Jan. 8: How does Matthew tell us that we are to pray? (Matt 6)

And here's today's reflection:
What's in a Name?
Genesis 16:13-14 3 She gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her: "You are the God who sees me," for she said, "I have now seen the One who sees me." 14 That is why the well was called Beer Lahai Roi; it is still there, between Kadesh and Bered.

I think names are interesting and come with a lot of power. A good name can take you places, but if you get a dud, it's a curse for the rest of your life. I have friend who is expecting her first baby and she and her husband have been keeping a blog and posting pictures of her belly as it grows ever bigger. On the side of their blog they have posted a poll about whether it's a good idea to give their son a name that would make his initials "C.O.W." See what I mean about names being both interesting and powerful? They have the power to make or break his entire life in one little decision like a name. (Well, maybe I'm exaggerating, but you get the picture.)

When I think about names changes in the Bible, one of the first to spring to mind is Abram and Sarai in Genesis 17. But you've probably heard a million sermons on this topic, and besides, I'm looking for things I didn't notice previously. So my eyes wandered back up to Genesis 16 to the end of the angel of the Lord's conversation with Hagar, Sarai's servant who ran away after she became pregnant by Abram.

Hagar was running away because Sarai was jealous that Hagar was pregnant. And she began to treat her very badly. Hagar thought she only had one option--to run. So off she runs to the desert and stops near a spring. The angel of the Lord comes to her and reassures her. Now, we don't read anything about her crying out to the Lord in anger or despair. We don't read anything about her praying feverishly (though it doesn't mean she didn't!).

Whether she prayed or not, God SAW her in her distress and sent an angel to her. God SAW the pain she was in and acted. Even when she thought no one else was paying attention and that no one really cared what happened to her, God SAW what she was going through. Though she might have thought she was completely alone, God SAW everything.

So, Hagar names the spring (or well) "Beer Lahai Roi." Names are especially important in the Bibles; so much meaning is attached to them. Names are for more than keeping track of lineage. Names are for marking special occasions. I wish I had thought of this. There are many places in my life that I would like to go back and rename because of something that happened there. Places like "first place I understood what the crucifixion was all about" or "place where I first prayed out loud" or "place where I first felt God's presence." What are some places you would rename?

Have a great day!
Allison

1 comment:

  1. It is great to see the enthusiasm this task is generating! We are all in this together!

    ReplyDelete