Saturday, January 10, 2009

Good morning! I hope you're enjoying this Winter Wonderland this morning! Rocky really enjoys playing in the snow but barks OBNOXIOUSLY at the salt trucks as they go by. I try to tell him they're just trying to help, but he doesn't seem to care.


Now, down to business: here is yesterday's question and answer:
Fri, Jan 9: What does Sarah do when, as she eavesdrops, she overhears God telling Abram that she will give birth to a son? (Gen 18)
Genesis 18:10-15 10 Then the LORD said, "I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife will have a son." Now Sarah was listening at the entrance to the tent, which was behind him. 11 Abraham and Sarah were already old and well advanced in years, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing. 12 So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, "After I am worn out and my master is old, will I now have this pleasure?" 13 Then the LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?' 14 Is anything too hard for the LORD? I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son." 15 Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, "I did not laugh." But he said, "Yes, you did laugh."

And here is today's question of the day:
Sat, Jan. 10: How many times does Jesus heal people in Matt 8 (including casting out demons)?


And here is today's reflection:
The Fruit of Faith (Gen 21)

I hope you have noticed that the Abraham and Sarah saga dominates the pages of Genesis. Even after they both have passed away, still we hear stories involving their children and grandchildren. Abraham and Sarah are examples of great faith, even with all their faults and flaws. (Did you notice them AGAIN lying [sort of!] about being brother and sister in Genesis 20?!) It's reassuring to me to know that God can use me, even with my own faults and flaws, just like Abraham and Sarah.

In the beginning of chapter 21, we see the fruit of their faith. God made lots of outrageous promises to this couple in their golden years. Promises that anyone else might have ignored and laughed off. Well, Sarah tried to laugh off the promise of being a mother in her old age, but God kept his promise. We see the fruit of their faith as Sarah gives birth to their son. She may have had some doubts along the way, but certainly after this, she wasn't going to ask too many more questions of God!

She names her son Isaac, which means "laughter." (Remember how I told you about how important names are?) It's a nice inside joke for her and Abraham, but maybe it's also a good, humbling reminder never to underestimate the promises of God.

May this story increase our faith so that we might believe that God is always at work, in even the most unlikely of circumstances!



May God find you in some surprising way this day!
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment