Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Getting Down to Business

Good morning! Let's get down to business!

Today's question of the day:
Tues, Jan. 6: Fill in the blanks: “You are the _____ of the earth. . . . You are the _____ of the world.” (Matt 5) (Bonus--this the Bible Study text for tomorrow!)


And here's yesterday's question and answer:
Mon, Jan. 5: What does the rainbow after the flood symbolize? (Gen 9)
Genesis 9:12-16 12 And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth."


And here's today's reflection. . .

Thou Shalt Not Lie

Genesis 12:11-13 11 As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, "I know what a beautiful woman you are. 12 When the Egyptians see you, they will say, 'This is his wife.' Then they will kill me but will let you live. 13 Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you."

If the only thing you knew about Abram was from the second half of Gen. 12, you'd think he was shallow, insecure, and cowardly. Not exactly the great hero of the faith we usually think of him as, right? He and Sarai conspire to lie to the government about being married; then she is "drafted" into serve for the Pharaoh, and Abram is well-taken care of by the Pharaoh because he is her "brother." They lie, thinking they are doing the the right thing--protecting themselves.

Now you know how the story ends--God afflicts the Pharaoh who figures out what's going on and he kicks them out. You'd think Abram and Sarai would learn their lessons, right? Well, I don't want to spoil your reading for Gen. 20, but let's just say this isn't the last time they lie to the governement.

Now, I could reflect a little on the role of faith in our daily living, since Abram and Sarai had just begun their great journey of faith. I could probably even come up with a good little reflection on sexual ethics, based on what Sarai ended up doing because of their decision. Instead, I found this little reflection about lies that I think is right on the mark.

"I was raised to keep all the family secrets and present myself in such a way that people would be either envious or approving. But keeping up a façade like that takes so much energy.
"When my friend Pammy was going through chemotherapy, and I asked her if the dress I was wearing made me look fat, I was making a fuss about the dumbest things, and Pammy looked at me and said, "Annie, you just don't have that kind of time." It was so profound, it was like I was in a cartoon and somebody conked me over the head. I got it. Pammy died seven years ago.

"But I still live by her words: You don't have time to live a lie. You don't have time to get the world to approve of you. You only have the time to become the person you dream of being. You only have the time to clean out your mean and ugly spots, areas that drag you down and hurt other people. You only have the time to accept yourself as you are and start getting a little bit healthier so you can be who God needs you to be.

"In a way, it's exhilarating to say, "This is really who I am, and I'm not going to pretend just because I have the sneaking suspicion I'm not good enough." God meets you where you are."
-Mary Ann O'Roark, an interview with Anne Lamott, reprinted from Clarity magazine.
(
www.homiletics.com)

Abram and Sarai didn't need to lie. God would have met them right where they were at their point of need, just like God is ready to meet you at YOUR point of need. You don't have time to live a lie, to hide your weaknesses. Paul tells us, in 2 Cor 12:9, 'But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."' And Paul goes on to say, "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." So, boast in your weakness, cling to God, and watch His power over you become perfect.



Have a great day!
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment