Sunday, January 4, 2009

Kickoff Sunday!

Blogging is turning out to be quite a challenge for me, especially since my schedule has been a little upside down with the New Year's holiday. (I actually look forward to things being back to normal again soon!)

There are many things I personally am hoping to get out reading the Bible in a year. Personal discipline has never been one of my strengths. So this is an excellent test for me. I also anticipate that making the time for blogging and the extra thinking it requires will be an ongoing challenge for me. But I've always enjoyed challenges! I don't know how many people will read this, but blogging is good accountability for me, which is especially important for those of us with no self-discipline! And I think I'm learning more about the Scripture passages we're reading because I actually have to process and reflect on what I'm reading. It's better for me than just reading the passages straight through. I hope you are learning as much as I am!

Now, let's get down to business. . .

Here's yesterday's question and answer:
Saturday, Jan. 3 After the animals were in the ark, how many days did they have to wait for rain?
Genesis 7:10 10 And after the seven days the floodwaters came on the earth.

And today's question:
Sunday, Jan. 4 To what does Psalm 1 compare to a tree planted by streams of water?


And today's reflection:
Dig Down Deep
Psalm 1:3 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither.

The "Year of the Bible" (YOTB) logo we are using is a tree and this is one of the passages that inspired that idea. You have seen the big poster we made and the commitment card you signed and left at the church was a leaf. Our sermon tomorrow is all about trees and the role they play in the Bible. Trees will keep popping up as the year goes on--keep your eyes open!

This psalm exemplifies exactly what I hope is accomplished with this YOTB. I hope that all who participate become like a tree whose roots grow down deep into the Word of God. I hope that all who participate find themselves planted next to the living water, always close to the Source. I hope that all who participate bear good fruit in season because by our fruits we will be known. I hope that all who participate find themselves anchored in Christ so that when the storms come, we have something, or rather Someone, to hang on to. I hope that we all grow a little closer to God and to each other as we travel on this journey together. May you dig down deeper into God's Word this day and the other 361 in 2009!

I hope, if you are able, to see you in this morning! Come and celebrate our kickoff Sunday together!

Allison

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't help but think about the movie "Evan Almighty" while reading today. It is a spoof, but it also puts some things in perspective - like the size of the boat and the ridicule that Noah likely got.

    ReplyDelete